Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hi There!

Hi Everyone! This is my first blog / post so I figured I would use it to introduce myself and what I will be blogging about. I am a college student trying to balance school, a job, and a horse, which is not easy. I commute 45 minutes to college and keep my horse at a farm near my home. My riding time depends on my schedule that semester. I was lucky in the past to have good schedules and plenty of riding time, but now that I am getting further into my college education getting a good, flexible schedule is getting harder, but I am making it work.

I have been riding my entire life. My dad used to take me to the barn where he kept his horse when I was just a baby and it has been true love ever since. I ride western, hence the title "College Cowgirl". I have a 20 year old chestnut QH mare named Satin (who is pictured in my blog title pic). She was given to me by a friend two years ago and she is everything I have ever dreamed of. She may be 20 but she thinks she is 2 sometimes, which is one of the things I love about her. She was a reiner in her youth, then my friend used her mainly as a pleasure horse doing trails and clinics just for fun, but now we compete in western pleasure, horsemanship, trail, and sometimes showmanship at local horse shows. I also have begun doing games such as barrels and poles with her just for fun. We also love going on trail rides and both find their is nothing better than a good gallop. She really is my partner and best friend. Most of the time she knows what I am going to ask before I even ask it and vice versa. She is such an extremely versatile and trustworthy horse. I can so anything with her from bridle-less riding, speed events, and jumping to pleasure, bareback, or a pony ride for a little kid.

I also have had the opportunity to work with off the track standardbreds, which has been a great experience for me as a horse person / rider. Though the Quarter Horse is my favorite breed I have learned the Standardbred is more then what people think they are. They are very versatile animals with a good mind. I have worked with and shown a friends STBD gelding in western and also have several friends with STBDS in various disciplines.

I am majoring in Journalism and minoring in English since I have always had a passion for writing. My ultimate goal is to write for an equine magazine. I also love photography and would love to photograph for a magazine, as well as, write. I would also love to maybe write a book one day, but its going to be a while before that happens.

As far as jobs go I work in my cousin's office part time though hours have been short lately so I am currently looking for something else to substantiate me a bit more. I have a few options I am pursuing so we will see what pans out.

Anyway thats pretty much my life at the moment. Look for updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment